Monday, March 14, 2011

Mook vs the Bracktes


As a Purdue fan, I’m pretty happy with our seeding.
It is a pretty tough bracket for Kansas… some real good teams in there… but I’m not afraid of any of them as a Purdue fan.

As a fan of upsets, I’m a lil upset. I don’t like Belmont drawing Wisconsin… I don’t like Butler & Old Dominion playing in the 1st round or the fact they and George Mason got the hated 8/9 seeds.
MSU as a ten seed who’d have to play an over-seeded Florida looks poised to make another run…

·      Colorado has a legitimate gripe- if UAB, Clemson, Georgia get in
·      I don’t know how Georgia is a ten seed and Bama is not in at all
·      Though I wouldn’t take any of those teams…
·      If I were picking
o   OUT: Georgia, Clemson, UAB, USC
o   IN: Milwaukee, Harvard, Valpo, St Mary’s
o   My First Four Out: Colorado, CSU, Missouri St, Clev St
·      Toughest games for me to pick
o   Wisc vs Belmont
§  I like Wisc as a sweet 16, but Belmont was my first round upset pick
§  K-st/Utah St vs Wisc/Belmont… this is what makes the pick so hard… I could see any of those 4 teams in the sweet 16… well, I could see the 12 & 13 teams both pulling upsets in rd 1… and if they’re playing in rd 2, one of those teams will make it…
o   BYU vs St Johns, BYU/St Johns vs MSU
§  MSU is getting to the sweet 16, can they make it all the way to 8…
§  I like Steve Lavin & Gene Keady to make it to the sweet 16…
§  but this whole year I have been touting Jimmer to carry his team… and while losing Davies hurts, I still want to pick them to the sweet 16 at least
§  I think St John’s got screwed, they should have been a 5 seed at least
o   L’ville vs Kansas (Rd 3)
§  I don’t think Kansas will lose so quickly this year, there is still a lot of talent there, I don’t have them in the final four, but I think they’ll be motivated… but I always pick Pitino’s teams to get to the Elite 8 or Final Four
o   SD St vs UConn (Rd 3)
§  I want to pick Steve Fisher and SD st to the final 8, and I want to pick UConn to the Final 8… one is going to lose… and the other will make the Final Four
·      Teams most screwed
o   8/9 seeds suck. I would rather be a 10 or 11 or 12
§  Butler: first they play Old Dominion, then they’d play Pit
§  George Mason: they win and have to play Ohio St
§  Old Dominion: see Butler
§  Michigan/Tenn  too
o   St Johns: a 6 seed? Playing Gonzaga first… then BYU
o   Texas as a 4 seed: I don’t like Texas, but they deserved better
·      Generous seedings
o   Florida as a 2, while Kentucky is a 4… I thought they’d both be 3’s… with Kentucky getting the edge
o   WV as a 5, while St johns is a 6
o   Penn St as a ten… I thought they were a bubble team
o   Georgia is a ten, I didn’t think they deserved to be in at all!
·      Interesting match-ups
o   Illinois could play UNLV, then Kansas… coached by former coach Lon Kruger and the guy who took over former coach Bill Self
o   Memphis is coached by former Arizona coach
o   Kentucky vs Princeton matches fast vs slow
o   Temple and Penn st play for pride of Pennsylvania
o   Notre Dame vs Purdue in rd 3 a rivalry in Indiana, that Notre Dame has been avoiding
o   Louisville vs Kansas, 2 top programs (rd 3)
·      If it were me I’d create the bracket with match-ups in mind
·      1st rd games I’m most interested in
o   Purdue vs St Peters (of course)
o   Kentucky vs Princeton
o   Butler vs old Dominion
o   St Johns vs Gonzaga
o   UCLA vs MSU
o   Texas vs Oakland
o   Syracuse vs ISU
o   Richmond vs Vandy
o   Michigan vs Tenn
o   Wisc vs Belmont
o   Arizona vs Memphis

i'll be back with predictions tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment